Blog reboot alert! This blog is now called Secretly Aspiring to be Jessica Fletcher.
Jessica Fletcher is a fictional mystery author who solves mysteries in between writing them. She was played by Angela Lansbury on the classic eighties TV show, Murder She Wrote.
Why am I aspiring (not so secretly) to be Jessica Fletcher?
Like Jessica Fletcher, I’m a mystery writer and I also do other things. Unlike Jessica, I’m a mom of three, wife of one, and hold a full-time non-mystery-writing job. And there’s the dilemma. I love to write, but taking care of my family, earning a steady paycheck, and sleeping are priorities too. My question is: how do you fit writing into your life when you’re doing other things?
This year, I attended my first ever Bouchercon: The Annual World Mystery Convention, for readers, writers, publishers, agents, booksellers,
murderers, and general lovers of crime. Fiction. Crime fiction.
The conference travels to a variety of locations. This year, it was in Long Beach, CA.
Top Three Best Moments:
- Pulling a Dr Livingstone, I presume? on Terry Shames in the Oakland airport.
- Socializing with Oakland writer friends Gigi Pandian, Sophie Littlefield, Juliet Blackwell, and Mysti Berry, because really, why hang out at home when we can go hang out in Long Beach?
- Deliberately sitting in front of Charlaine Harris in the audience at a panel, having her introduce herself to me, then best of all, waiting in line to have her sign a book and having her greet me by name. Yes folks, Charlaine Harris recognized me and remembered my name SEVERAL HOURS after meeting me. And she didn’t even check my name tag first.
Things I learned for next time:
- If you don’t want to eat cookies for breakfast—and even if you do—it’s smart to bring your own food.
- Take breaks if you need to. There is always another panel.
- Room with Gigi Pandian, because she’s awesome. And she’s armed with chocolate.
Me and Gigi at Bouchercon 2014, which was held entirely underwater.